Sunday, August 29, 2010

Sound Off


This story seems appropriate to the theme of the blog...We (my husband, 8 month-old, and myself) recently traveled to Nashville to visit family. While we were in town, we met up with one of my best college buds at Panera for a brief visit. Isaiah was having a ball jumping on Laura's lap while we were chatting, and something about that motion just seems to get things cranking in his belly. Mid conversation, he starts his typical, dramatic, grunting, red-faced, "watch out he's about to blow" valsalva that can only mean one thing--he's about to poop (or have a BM as the PC would say, which isn't me). Now most people have no problem identifying the root cause of such theatrics, and when it's coming from a baby, people tend to just smile and go on about their business. Unfortunately, this must have been a pretty challenging poop for my son. We easily had 5 minutes straight of groaning and grunting that the whole restaurant could hear. You can see people trying to mind their own business and act like they don't hear a thing, but they can't help sneak a peak at the source of said sound. About midway through Isaiah's intense efforts, music is suddenly turned on over the loudspeakers which conveniently drowns out most of his grunting. A large part of me was relieved that we no longer had to be the center of attention, but at the same time, I'm thinking "Give me a break, he's just a baby!" Coffee and a whole-bran muffin anyone?

No comments:

Post a Comment